Welcome to Department of Zoology
Department of Zoology came in to existence in 1929 in the Osmania Intermediate college and latter on in the year 1952, undergraduate course was introduced. This is the only department in this college and also among the other affiliated colleges from this region whose laboratory was first to be recognised for research by the university way back in 1962 under the able guidance of Dr. A. Gopalkrishnan, D.Sc., and his internationally recognised pioneering work on Bats started in this department.
This department is fully equipped with good quality equipments such as Microtomes, Research Microscopes in several numbers from reputed companies such as Karl S. Zenna, Westzler, Meopta, Olympus to name a few and epidiascope, overhead projectors, LCD.
Central library contains several research journals and fifteen hundred books in zoology helpful to research students, guides, teachers and undergraduate students. The museum in this department is the oldest in this region having good representation of preserved and stuffed animals from different phyla. The museum is helpful to the students for practical purpose and general knowledge, and is open to the visitors during working days. The above mentioned best infrastructure made it easy for the Government to sanction Post Graduate course (M.Sc.) in 1993 and was run up to 2002, which has benefited 160 students, among whom many are in first division and merit rank holders in the University.