Welcome to Department of History
The Department of History is as old as the institution itself. During the period of the last Nizam of Hyderabad, Meer Osman Ali Khan in 1923, the “Osmania IntermediateCollege”was established in Aurangabad. The pursuit of the study of History as a subject commenced with the establishment of this institution itself,while the medium of instruction was Urdu in the early days. In those days,History and Political Science were combined as one department, and Dr.S.A. Bari headed the combined department. The subject History was separated from Political science in 1966 and a separate ‘Department of History’ was conceived this year
The great history scholar Dr.HariharS.Thosar was the first head of the department, who wrote a book named ‘Historical Geography of Maharashtra and Goa.’After Dr.H.S.Thosar,Prof.K.L.Mahaley became the head of the department, who authored the book ‘Shivaji-The Pragmatist’. He was succeeded as head by Prof.M.S.Bhale(1980 – 2003),and later by Prof.V.B.Jadhav (2003 – 2006). Dr.ShriniwasSatbhai took charge as head in 2006 and holds the post till 2017. He authored many popular books, “AdhunikBhartachaItihas”,Itihaslekhanshastra”are worth mentioning. He also wrote “History of SAARC” for YCMOU. Dr.BhavnaPatole holds the post for very brief period (2017-18).
Dr.P.P.Tayade, Prof.VijayDeshpande(both senior college) and Prof.G.L.Gaikwad (Junior college) also made valuable contributions to the development of the department. Dr.P.P.Tayade and Prof. V.B.Jadhav later went on to become Principals of the institution.
Mr. RupeshMadkar took charge as Head of the Department in 2018 and continues to hold the charge.
Average Result for the last 3 years
|Year||Average result of Department|
|Sr.No.||Name of teacher||Research Papers||Chapter in Books|
|Name of teacher||Funding Agency||Title of the Project||Year & total grant received|
|Dr.SHRINIWAS SATBHAI||ICHR New Delhi||The role of British resident’s in the politics of Bhonsles of Nagpur (1803-54)||2013 (Rs.25,000/-)|
- Department of History organizes various co- curricular activities for the overall development of the students. Visits to historical places in and around the very historic city of Aurangabad, is a regular activity of this department. Departmental visits to museums, Heritage walk, and celebration of historic days also organized. Students are encouraged to participate in the activities organized by Department of History, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad. 1. Screening of “17th September”, Short film on the occasion of Marathwada Muktisangram Din.
2. Departmental Visit to Historical place near Aurangabad..
3. Participation in History Festival organized by Department of History, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad..
4. Departmental visit to Museum.
- Value Added online Certificate course in An Introduction to Ancient Indian Scripts: Brahmi & Kharoshti (10 days, 5th to 14th April 2020) This course was conducted through online platform by using Google classroom. 95 students were enrolled. Video lectures, study material were provided. Participants’ progress was evaluated through Quizzes, assignments and test.
- Maharashtra Foundation Day – Online Quiz Competition (1st to 5th May 2020) This Quiz competition was conducted through online platform, Google forms. Around 500 participants, from all over Maharashtra and from other states have participated in this competition. E-Certificates were distributed to the participants.