The history of higher education in Marathwada region is the history of the Government College of Arts & Science, Aurangabad. The college was founded as a small beginning & has grown into an education movement with a conviction to provide education to all at minimum fees and best possible facilities. The college scaled higher peaks of excellence due to the persistent efforts taken by the former Principals who took keen interest in the development of the college. They were great scholars in their own fields and reputed teachers as well.
The college was established in 1923 at Aurangabad and since then it has been playing pioneering role in providing quality education in this society
The forty eight acres of college campus, known as Kile-Ark is surrounded by a huge rampart constructed in the seventeenth century which is worth mentioning. The college campus comprises few buildings of medieval architecture namely, Zenana Mahal, Mardana Mahal and Palmer Kothi where the music, Sanskrit, Geography and Home Science departments are located.